The Canadian Jewish Review was founded in 1921 in Toronto by George and Florence Freedlander. Published in the English language, in many ways its development follows the trajectory of English-speaking Canadian Jews. Its approach was politically mild, moderately Zionist, religiously Reform, and focused on the social achievements of local Jewry rather than on current events. The tide began to turn as events heated up in British-Mandate Palestine, particularly the 1929 attacks on Jews in Hebron; the coming of Nazism in Europe forced world consciousness upon even the most devoutly assimilationist Jewish journalists.
The Review added a Montreal office and edition in 1929 to become a two-city weekly newspaper. In 1966 it merged with the Canadian Jewish Chronicle to become the Chronicle Review, and under this aegis continued publication until 1976. Its long run during the years of greatest upheaval and change in the lives of its readers makes it a central source for the study of Canada’s Jews. The selection digitized here runs from 1921 to 1966, with some years missing and other years lacking issues.
Contributed by Multicultural History Society of Ontario.