The village of Matane, Québec, located on the Gaspé Peninsula directly across the St. Lawrence River from Baie-Comeau, was the site of a French agricultural settlement in the late 18th century. It remained a tiny community until the emergence of lumber and forestry industries in the late 19th century. The weekly town paper, Le Cri de L’Est, may have been published for only a year or two in 1911 and 1912, in the French language. It covered primarily news of the Gaspésie and Catholicism, and included family reading and local advertising. The issues available here date from March and April of 1912.
Contributed by Multicultural History Society of Ontario.